Work package T3: Pilot case studies and evaluation of energy efficiency measures
FEEDSCHOOLS Pilot activities will be co-ordinated by Research and Innovation Centre Pro-Akademia (Project Partner 3), that is Leader of the Work Package T3. They include energy audits performed horizontally in 6 countries (It, Pl, Si, Hr, Hu, Cz) using a common work methodology. Each pilot will involve at least 8 school infrastructures per region, meaning 48 for each type of pilot. Institutional partners will select schools where pilot activities will take place and ensure co-operation with schools management, while Technical partners will do technical part of the work.
Pilot activities in each school will consist of the following steps:
- Preliminary data collection;
- Energy audits in three functional school zones: classrooms, sport halls, canteens;
- Development of technical improvement options and optimal financing schemes, aimed at transformation towards nearly zero energy buildings;
- Calculation of the carbon footprint of the school building restoration;
- Testing and evaluating the Applications and Data Base developed within WP T1, in order to provide feedback for validation and improvement of the FEEDSCHOOLS toolkit;
- Open lessons for students and schools staff focused on behavioural change in terms of lowering energy consumption of school buildings.
In order to allow for comparability of the work done in each country, a Common Technical Protocol for conducting energy efficiency audits will be developed. The protocol will provide guidelines for energy efficiency experts in all participating countries on how to perform energy audit and respective calculations. It will rely on recognised international standards, procedures and calculation methods. The methodology will be complemented by the energy audit report template.
The evaluation of the pilot actions will be done through transnational visits to the sites and a peer review of reports done by international experts. The transnational expert team will be composed of experts representing technical partners from all countries covered by the FEEDSCHOOLS project, gathering engineers with many years of experience in the field of energy efficiency and renewable energy sources (RES). A final report on improvement measures of the validated Applications will also be provided.
The pilots will be followed by related schools NZEB renovation plans, consisting of technical improvements and related economic feasibility, drawn up in collaboration with local municipality technical departments. The plans will help in accessing ERDF funds that several EU Regions deliver to Local Authorities for buildings that have already developed technical and economically viable renovation plans, as well as in involving private sector in the process of renovation school buildings in Central Europe to the NZEB standard.
Preliminary plans for renovation to the NZEB standard for schools participating in project Pilots will be available on the FEEDSCHOOLS project website.