The II Congress of Inland Navigation
The most important event of inland navigation in Poland and one of the most important in Europe.
The Exhibition and Congress Centre in Opole gathered about 800 people, including parliamentarians, local authorities, representatives of maritime universities, schools, inland waterway authorities, students of inland waterway schools and many others, and above all, supporters of the development of inland waterway transport.
The congress began with the signing of a contract between Polish Waters and DHV Hydroprojekt for the project of another water barrage on the Oder - Ścinawa. The President of Polish Waters said after the formal conclusion of the agreement that Polish Waters, as the main entity responsible for water management, will gradually strive to ensure good conditions for the development of inland waterway transport in Poland.
At the 2nd Congress were presented the results of the work of the Ministry of Maritime Economy and Inland Navigation regarding measures aimed at fostering the development of river transport in Poland and debated on the conditions of Polish rivers and their utilization in the European transport of goods and in tourism. Among the important topics that was discussed during the Congress were:
- The state of work on development programmes for Oder and Vistula
- Possibilities of development of inland navigation sector in the next decade
- Programmes for the development of waterways - how do we do this?
- Nautical tourism and inland passenger navigation. Advantages, limitations, how to support?
- Rational water management - system of connected vessels
- Oder waterway - what's next?
- Clean water - clean business
- What the waterway consists of?
- The role of education for young people and their opportunities in this segment of the economy, cooperation with the business sector and demonstration of development prospects for future staff.