The Institute for Maternal and Child Health “Burlo Garofolo” opened on November 18th 1856. On 1968 it was aknowledged as a Mother and Child Referral Hospital and Research Institute (IRCCS). As IRCCS , it pursues research purposes in the biomedical field and in the organization of health services, innovation in the care models, training and knowledge transfer. The Institute fosters an intense educational activity, focused on the entire spectrum of paediatrics sciences, over the regional territory and it is national referral centre for autoimmune-immune-mediated disorders and rare diseases, prenatal diagnosis and registries of inherited diseases. It hosts the University Departments of Reproductive and Development Sciences and Public Medicine. A World Health Organisation Collaborating Centre for Maternal and Child Health was formally recognised.